Winter project

At the end of the summer season last year the Costume Group was about making a tapestry for Reception to hang on the wall. Not having a lot of experience with tapestry we thought a wall hanging using various embroidery techniques hat we’ve learned over the last several years would be better. We came up with several ideas but thought to start with a design based on the Great Hall window, the plasterwork and the gables.

 

Once the pattern was drawn out to scale and transferred to the base cloth, we had a slight change of tack and used a lovely photograph of the Hall window taken by Barbara, the House Steward, as further inspiration for the window design. 

The border is made up from images in the plaster freize in the Hall, worked in various embroidery techniques, including stumpwork and freestyle blackwork. 

The faces are linked together by lucetted cord, often used in our costumes for ties and laces, to represent the ribbed pattern of the plasterwork on the Hall ceiling.

Other features of the plasterwork have been picked out with quilted sections and needlelace.  

Scraps from our material cupboard were used for the window panes, which started off as six abstract collage panels. It slowly came together by putting a large piece of navy blue net over the top, then black cord to make the panes. The window frame is made with pieces of grey wool material, with both right and wrong sides on display for the different textures. 

The next stage is to finish the gables and roof top, complete the border and then work out how to fix it to the wall! 

Advertisements

Nightcap and ruff on display at last!

The embroidered nightcap and lace ruff are now on display in the Musicians’ Gallery at Trerice! The display boxes arrived at the end of last week and some display stands were ingenuously created from a large cardboard tube, some hardboard and black material – very Blue Peter! – but looks really professional. Big thank you to the volunteers who made them in no time at all. (We’ll forget about the minor hiccough of one being a fraction too big and having to adjust it…)

20140217-195308.jpg

20140217-195319.jpg

Embroidered nightcap pt.8. – nearly there!

We now have 5 of the 6 panels sewn together! The sixth, the tulip one, is nearly done, just awaiting a blue butterfly and some more sequins and beads before being joined to the others. The last piece of the headband is almost done too.

20130701-212244.jpg

20130701-212258.jpg

20130701-212724.jpg

In the meantime, we’ve discovered we’re about 8 strawberry flower petals short and there isn’t any thread the right colour left! Hopefully, there will be enough to cobble something together from the leftover scrap ends (fingers crossed!)

Embroidered nightcap pt.6

We continued the embroidered nightcap today. All the different pieces have been started and some are almost complete! After discussion the metallic thread was removed from the cornflower petals, which looks much better, and a butterfly was added to the aquilegia panel to fill a gap. The main tulip petal has been stiffened and some stamens added behind to enhance it.

20130603-190320.jpg
Cornflower, with creepy crawlies and bling. (Might have gone over the top with the sequins and beads!?)

20130603-190533.jpg
Aquilegia with new butterfly.

20130603-190619.jpg
Tulip, inside and out.

20130603-190625.jpg

20130603-190634.jpg
Pansy, with stamens added.

20130603-190641.jpg
Strawberry flower petals are being added to the two joined panels.

20130603-190650.jpg
The last two sections of the headband.

20130603-190710.jpg
There was still no wind today, but did manage to get a clear photo of most of the flags.

20130603-191123.jpg

Embroidered nightcap pt. 5

The first pieces of the embroidered cap have been sewn together! Here’s the first two panels and the first two pieces of the headband.

20130520-181955.jpg
(The fact the snails on the headband leave a snail trail tickles me)

It’s taking shape at last. The lining’s been done too. The other panels are coming along.

20130520-182451.jpg
Cornflower

20130520-182501.jpg
Pansy

20130520-182510.jpg
Strawberry

Some of our new volunteers had a go at practising needle lace today, hope they can still remember it in a fortnight when we meet again and have a go on a panel!

Next Monday is our next Costume Day, the farthingale’s repaired again, so I think we’re good to go.

Creepy crawlies

20130408-195838.jpg

20130408-195857.jpg

20130408-195912.jpg

We’ve been continuing with the embroidered nightcap and have started embellishing panels with stumpwork insects. So far there’s a bee, a ladybird, a butterfly, a spider, two caterpillars and a snail. There’s also a snail and a hedgehog on part of the headband (not shown). So it’s coming on…

The lace ruff project is finally complete and looks fabulous! 5 metres of lace took one volunteer about 200 hours to make, and another made it into the ruff which took a further 12 hours. Thanks to both for their hard work!

20130408-201002.jpg