The flurry of activity continues

What we’ve been up to – things recently finished:

*A miner’s coat in a heavy linen, so called because it was copied/inspired by a drawing of a mid Tudor miner – it needs lantern and tools to complete the look! It has 32 button holes and although they were done by machine patience was tested, especially when the practise ones using the automatic buttonhole function on scrap material were great but the first few on the garment wouldn’t play ball at all. Needless to say there’ll be some fake buttons at the bottom. but it was less time consuming than making 32 buttons by hand, which is left to someone else to do!

20140707-221335-80015537.jpg

*An early Tudor gentleman, with doublet, coat, hood and hat. We haven’t figured out the best way of doing one-size-fits-all hose, especially the early Tudor styles, so we’re leaving that for another time. Boys might be a bit reluctant to wear tights?!

20140709-185608-68168966.jpg

*A mid to late Tudor gentleman’s coat is finished and just needs a hat to complete the look.

20140707-221748-80268005.jpg

*Our version of the Aldersey girl’s gown with a roll underneath, because the skirt seems a bit long by itself for a 10 year old; we tried it with a farthingale as well but it appeared to make little difference to the length.

20140707-221853-80333675.jpg

*Two earlyTudor gentlewomen’s gowns are now finished, but we may add a tassel to the end of the girdles.

20140707-222541-80741588.jpg

20140707-222055-80455643.jpg

20140709-185733-68253017.jpg

We only have two outfits left from our initial cutting out, so we will have to have another cutting out session soon. There’s about 10 more to cut out. In the mean time each outfit made so far needs an appropriate shirt or smock and accessories…

Advertisements

Gowns, Coats and Headwear

It’s been a while since the last post, but we’ve been quite busy. We had another successful costume day at the beginning of the month and we’ve been continuing with the schools’ project.

We’ve made quite a dent in the patterns created during our marathon cutting out session – might have to get round to cutting out the last ones soon! We’ve got a mixture of recreated children’s clothes and scaled down adult style ones so that groups can see what different ranks and professions wore: they are based on pictures in the Herbert Norris book, Tudor Costume and Fashion, as well as patterns from the ever useful The Tudor Tailor, The Tudor Child, The Queen’s Servants, and The King’s Servants.

New additions to the schools’ project include:
An early Tudor farmer, with doublet and coat – reminiscent of those worn on the Tudor Monastery Farm TV programme. This will be worn, eventually, with the brown small bonnet made earlier.

20140519-182448-66288142.jpg

A villager – the kirtle was one from our old collection that never really gets worn, but just discovered it’s about 5-6 inches too short – it looks a bit silly with the jacket – so it will need to have a bit added on to the bottom.

20140519-182731-66451699.jpg

Some early Tudor bonnets for girls including a pointed one, possibly to go with the early Tudor gentlewoman’s dress.

20140519-183021-66621038.jpg

20140519-183020-66620743.jpg

The round bonnet can be worn as it is or looks quite effective with a paste to make a gable shaped hood.

20140519-192019-69619330.jpg

20140519-192018-69618695.jpg

20140519-192019-69619585.jpg

20140519-192019-69619026.jpg

This one is to go with the early Tudor noblewoman’s outfit, which is almost finished, and just needs some side lacing in the kirtle.

20140519-192134-69694539.jpg

20140519-192134-69694280.jpg

A schoolboy’s coat is done, and is awaiting it’s yellow petticoat to go underneath. Also under way are a miner’s coat, a merchant’s gown, a merchant wife’s dress as well as the early gentlewoman’s dress.

20140519-192208-69728994.jpg

So the work continues and we have another costume day this coming Monday!

Monday 19 August

We had a slightly quieter day today than the previous two weeks, which was actually rather nice.

A new gown had its first outing today. The pattern, which was for a very tall 12 year old, or slim older person, was partially based on the Tudor Tailor’s Aldersey dress in the Tudor Child (well the puff sleeves were), the rest was adapted from the basic pattern using styles and techniques from our earlier dresses. After much deliberating it was decided to use a pale cream/beige/gold damask material for the areas on show of the kirtle rather than our originally intended blue damask. The gown was made with a small train but we added a bum roll to see if we could make the skirts a few inches shorter. The Elizabethan hood comes from the Tudor Tailor, but possibly turned out a little smaller than it should have done.

20130819-182657.jpg

20130819-182903.jpg

We’ve only got one Monday costume day left, and Saturday 7 September – which it turns out isn’t Heritage Day as previously thought. It’s the following weekend, 14-15, when there’ll be a fifties weekend to celebrate the NT acquiring Trerice in 1953. There’ll be some staff and volunteers in 1950s clothes and several visitors have already enquired if they can come dressed up too!

Summer preparations

Still trying to make more clothes in time for the summer costume days. The loose gown with loose kirtle and tied-in puffy sleeves is finished after fighting the hems into submission – they looked fine initially but turned out to be about a foot longer at the sides than necessary!

20130718-181035.jpg

A yeoman farmer’s coat has just been finished, copied from a picture in Herbert Norris’s book about Tudor costume and fashions. We’ve tried bashing an old felt cowboy hat out of shape to get a similar felt hat to the one in the book, it almost looks right…

20130718-181141.jpg

There are two dresses for girls aged about 12 coming along too, so we should have a variety of new things for visitors to wear in a couple of weeks.