The flurry of activity continues

What we’ve been up to – things recently finished:

*A miner’s coat in a heavy linen, so called because it was copied/inspired by a drawing of a mid Tudor miner – it needs lantern and tools to complete the look! It has 32 button holes and although they were done by machine patience was tested, especially when the practise ones using the automatic buttonhole function on scrap material were great but the first few on the garment wouldn’t play ball at all. Needless to say there’ll be some fake buttons at the bottom. but it was less time consuming than making 32 buttons by hand, which is left to someone else to do!

20140707-221335-80015537.jpg

*An early Tudor gentleman, with doublet, coat, hood and hat. We haven’t figured out the best way of doing one-size-fits-all hose, especially the early Tudor styles, so we’re leaving that for another time. Boys might be a bit reluctant to wear tights?!

20140709-185608-68168966.jpg

*A mid to late Tudor gentleman’s coat is finished and just needs a hat to complete the look.

20140707-221748-80268005.jpg

*Our version of the Aldersey girl’s gown with a roll underneath, because the skirt seems a bit long by itself for a 10 year old; we tried it with a farthingale as well but it appeared to make little difference to the length.

20140707-221853-80333675.jpg

*Two earlyTudor gentlewomen’s gowns are now finished, but we may add a tassel to the end of the girdles.

20140707-222541-80741588.jpg

20140707-222055-80455643.jpg

20140709-185733-68253017.jpg

We only have two outfits left from our initial cutting out, so we will have to have another cutting out session soon. There’s about 10 more to cut out. In the mean time each outfit made so far needs an appropriate shirt or smock and accessories…

Still busy

The school outfits continue:

An early-mid merchant’s wife dress, before embellishment was added.

20140611-073631-27391336.jpg

The same dress with about 12 metres of ribbon added. The trim echoes the design of an existing German mid 16th century bourgeois dress.

20140611-125614-46574515.jpg

For some reason there was a spare of puffed sleeves lying about, so to not waste them we added a doublet body.

20140611-073630-27390689.jpg

The school boy’s outfit is finished and just needs some accessories to complete it fully. (Something to add to the shopping list!)

20140611-073631-27391051.jpg

You can never have enough hats! Black versions of a round bonnet and a great bonnet to supplement the brown ones.

20140611-073658-27418756.jpg

A version of The Tudor Tailor’s Aldersey gown in The Tudor Child has been started. This is one of the sleeves of the gown during assembly. Yet again I have discovered the ‘joys’ of working with velvet – black is particularly disconcerting because the bits it sheds, which get everywhere, look like mouse droppings! Luckily there was enough velvet ribbon to use for the panes on the sleeves, which saved a fiddly job and extra mess.

20140611-073631-27391889.jpg

20140611-073632-27392199.jpg

20140611-073632-27392527.jpg

The finished sleeves attached to the bodice.

20140611-125614-46574802.jpg