We may have been quiet on the blog over Christmas and New Year but everyone’s been busy. So far we’ve got 2 new doublets finished, one for a boy in green with tabs on the shoulders that looked like a stegosaurus initially.
Another is to go with a kirtle which has shoulder rolls that were sewn and unpicked about 5 times to get them right. Turned out well in the end though!
There’s also a blackwork embroidered ruff under way and one volunteer spent last season making handmade lace, which another volunteer is now turning into a ruff for people to try on – will need something special for it to be worn with.
Our first costume day of 2013 is on Easter Monday, 1 April – also April Fool’s Day so thought it might be quite good to have a jester’s costume for people to try on and currently putting something together based on various pictures of late medieval and sixteenth century jesters I’ve found.
Several volunteers have made a start on an embroidered night cap, using various Tudor embroidery techniques, which hopefully will be on display at Trerice during the coming season. Can’t wait to see how it’s going, as I was unable to get in because of unexpected snow (there was enough to sledge on!).